Check out this farmers market challenged by a train. The market shown in the video is one located at Maeklong (Maekrong) a town near Bangkok. A news photo of the market from 2001 has the following caption: “Thai vegetable market vendors pull back temporary shades and their produce off a railway track to allow a cross-country train to pass through the middle of the town of Maekrong, 60 kilometers west of Bangkok, April 5, 2001. The bustling market, in the … Continue Reading ...
from Fresh From the Farmers’ Market by Janet Fletcher
- 1lb dried Cannellini or other white beans
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for garnish
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, in 1/3-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tblsp minced Italian parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups homemade or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ lb winter greens such as kale, chard, dandelion, collard or turnip greens
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:… Continue Reading ...
–from our friends at Pure Harvest Farm
- 3 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of sage
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of whole black peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon of whole allspice berries
- one 13 to 14 pound turkey
Four days before service, place the salt, sage, thyme, black peppercorns, and allspice into a grinder and pulse until the peppercorns and allspice are coarsely ground (5 to 6 pulses); set aside.
Set the turkey breast-side down on … Continue Reading ...
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups cooked, mashed winter squash (Butternut, Acorn, or Kabocha are good choices)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canola or coconut oil
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking power
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ¾ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl,
This recipe was demonstrated by Katie Freer and her children’s cooking class kids (ages 3 to 12) at the Market on June 18. Katie is the founder of Sprouting Chefs, a program that combines her Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education and her culinary talents. Katie always brings her class to Market on Saturdays where each week a new seasonal fruit or vegetable is introduced to the class.
- 2 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup