Premium cheeses made by hand with fresh-from-the-cow milk make this a perfect addition to any meal with friends and family. This featured recipe from our farm’s kitchen is a zucchini and squash casserole with cheese that makes a great summer casserole with all the goodies from your garden, or the Historic Lewes Farmers Market. This recipe has been handed down for generations in our family, but never written down until now.
- 2-3 small green zucchini, cut into thin round slices
- 2-3 small yellow squash, cut into thin round slices
- 1 large onion, cut in 1/2 then sliced thin
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup grated Chapel’s Colby Dill Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Chapel’s Herbal Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Chapel’s Cheddar
Preheat oven to 350, then slice and grate all of the above ingredients.
Grease a large baking or casserole dish and layer the ingredients as follows: zucchini then tomato, Chapel’s Colby dill cheese, onion, squash, Chapel’s herbal jack cheese, zucchini, tomato, Chapel’s cheddar cheese, etc. until all the ingredients have been used.
(You can substitute the vegetables, and the cheeses, like using Chapel’s Pepper Jack cheese. Also, you can add lean, browned ground beef to the layers to have a complete meal.) Bake for 1/2 -1 hour, depending on the depth of the baking dish.