Ingredients for Soup:
- 2 pints Sun Gold tomatoes, stems removed
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- sea salt
- 1 cup water
Ingredients for Relish:
- 3 tbsp. Spanish Chardonnay vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 2 tsps. finely diced and seeded serrano chile (optional)
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 firm avocado, pitted, peeled, and finely diced
- 1 tbsp. chopped basil or cilantro
Rinse the tomatoes and put them into a heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add half the shallots, ½ teaspoon salt, and the water. Cook over medium-high heat, listening closely to the pot. Soon you’ll hear the tomatoes popping. Take a peek after a few minutes to make sure there’s sufficient moisture – you don’t want the tomatoes to scorch. If the skins are slow to pop, add a few tablespoons of water. Once they release their juices, lower the heat and cook for 25 minutes.
Pass the tomato mixture through a food mill. You’ll have about 2 cups of puree. Chill well, then taste for salt.
For the relish, combine the remaining shallots in a medium bowl with the vinegar, chile (if using), oil, avocado, and basil. Season with a pinch or two of salt and some pepper. Spoon the soup into small cups; divide the garnish among them and serve.
-from Tomato: A Fresh-from-the-Vine Cookbook by Lawrence Davis-Hollander. Recipe is by Deborah Madison.