Great Tomato Recipe Contest 2011 – Winning Recipes
1st Place Grand Prize: Gerald Cowan’s Tomato, Lettuce, Bacon (Reverse BLT) Sandwich on Homemade Sun-dried Tomato Herb Bread, served with Homemade Sun-dried Tomato Mayonnaise
- Bread – 3 cups bread flour, 1 ¼ t. salt, ¼ t. dry yeast, 1 1/3 cup cool water, ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, 2 small sprigs rosemary, 3 small sprigs oregano, 2 small sprigs basil, 2 sage leaves. Recipe is rather involved. See Jim Lahey’s No-knead Method online. I adapted to include tomatoes and herbs).
- Mayonnaise – In a food processor, blend 1 egg, 1 T. Vinegar, 1 t. salt, freshly ground pepper, til blended, about 3 seconds. Gradually pour 1 ½ cups vegetable oil through feed tube. Process til it thickens. Stir in 1-2 T. pureed sun-dried tomatoes.
- LTB ingredients – crisply baked bacon, thickly sliced fresh garden tomatoes, Boston lettuce. Arrange all on toasted bread,l spread with sun-dried mayonnaise.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – quarter and core plum tomatoes. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast at 150 degrees on a cake rack on a cookie sheet for 10-20 hrs. til dry, but still pliable.
2nd Place Grand Prize: Linda Cowan’s Bloody Mary Sorbet
Make a simple syrup with 6 T. sugar and ½ cup water, stirring over medium heat until dissolved Cool. Peel 8 plum tomatoes, seed and chop. Add tomatoes to a blender, along with:
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1 T. horseradish, fresh
- 2 T. cilantro leaves
- ½ t. caraway seeds
- ½ t. celery seeds
- 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime – zest and juice
- 1 t. Kosher salt
- ½ t. black pepper
- 1 t. Cholula hot sauce
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3 T. tomato paste
- ½ cup vodka
Puree all of the above, then chill overnight.
Process in an ice cream freezer.
3rd Place Grand Prize: Laura Jarman Byrum’s Green Tomato Golden Raisin Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Icing
Green Tomato Golden Raisin Cupcakes:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 ½ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups flour, sifted
- 1 ¼ tsp. Sauer Cake Spice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups diced green tomatoes
- 1 cup golden raisins, soaked in rum to soften
In large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. In a separate bowl, combined sifted flour, spices and salt. Slowly add to butter mixture, beating well. Gently fold in green tomatoes and raisins. Using an ice cream scoop, spoon batter into the cupcake tin. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from tins, cool complete on wire rack. Frost with Lemon Crème Icing.
Lemon Crème Icing
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow cream
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. lemon extract