- 4 medium-size beets with greens
- ¼ cup rice vinegar, plus more to taste
- 2 tblsp. chopped fresh chives
- 2 tblsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 tblsp. fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- Separate the beet greens from the roots. Discard any bruised or damaged leaves. Chop the stems into ¼-inch pieces and the leaves into ¼-inch ribbons. Peel the roots and grate with a box grater or food processor.
- Combine the greens and grated roots in a steamer and steam over boiling water for about 5 minutes, until tender. Immediately plunge into cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well.
- Whisk together the vinegar, chives, mint, and orange juice in a medium bowl. Whisk in the oil until it is fully incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Add the greens and beets and toss to mix. Taste again and add more salt and pepper or vinegar if desired.
- Crumble three quarters of the goat cheese over the salad and toss to mix. Garnish with the remaining goat cheese and serve.
–from Serving Up the Harvest: Celebrating the Goodness of Fresh Vegetables by Andrea Chesman