Winning Recipes from the Great Tomato Recipe Contest
1st – Tangerine Tomato Tart
2nd – Golden Gazpacho
3rd – Mediterranean Tomato Salad
Robert Perri’s Grilled Tangerine Tomato Tart with Lucky Penny Tangerine Tomatoes
- 10 tangerine tomatoes
- 5 plum tomatoes
- 3T butter, melted
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1t vanilla
- Puff Pastry
- Blanch tomatoes, peel, seed and slice in half
- Place butter in 9 inch sauce pan
- Add sugar on top of butter
- Place sliced, peeled, cored and seeded tomatoes rounded side face down (plum around edge of pan for contrast)
- Grill on burner for 25 minutes until golden and caramelized.
- Make sure they don’t stick. Take off burner.
- Add vanilla to tomatoes
- Add puff pastry to cover and tuck in to sides of pan
- Grill at 425 for 25 minutes, avoiding direct flame if possible. Try to avoid it sticking.
- Remove and let settle 10 min.
- Invert into tart pan.
Marie Samples Golden Gazpacho
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1 large yellow onion 1
- Golden Delicious apple
- 4-6 yellow tomatoes (about 2 – 2 1/2 lbs total)
- 2 T white balsamic vinegar
- 2 T high quality fruity olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1/4 t hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco) or more to taste finely diced green (or mixed) heirloom tomato (for garnish)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Roast the bell pepper, onion, and apple until soft (about 30-40 minutes).Peel and seed the pepper, peel the onion, and peel and seed the apple. Puree the pepper, onion, and apple in a food processor until smooth (add a bit of water if needed). Pour into a large bowl.
Roughly chop the tomatoes; pulse in the food processor until chopped fine, but not pureed. Add to the bowl with the other ingredients. Stir in the vinegar, olive oil, and hot pepper sauce. Thin with water as needed to obtain a soup-like consistency. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Chill until very cold (overnight is fine). Thin if needed. Taste; adjust seasoning if needed. Ladle into individual serving bowls, drizzle with olive oil and top with diced tomatoes.
Variation: top with diced avocado and garnish with crisp tortilla strips.
Makes four servings.
Murat Ozgun’s Mediterranean Tomato Salad
- 1 small white onion
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- I bunch parsley
- 2 to 3T olive oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
Chop all ingredients. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over vegetables and mix with oil and vinegar. Top with Feta cheese. Serve with pita wedges