From Farmstead Chef by John Ivanko and Lisa Kivirist
- 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup onions, chopped (1 medium onion)
- 1 cup root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, or rutabagas)
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup half & half cream (or 1 cup evaporated milk)
- ½ tsp. paprika or 2 tbsp. sour cream for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, then add in onions and cook until onions are tender.
- Mix the other fall root vegetables ans squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock, salt, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- In a food processor, or using an immersion blender, puree the mixture until smooth. Return to pot and stir in the cream or evaporated milk. Heat through but do not boil.
- Serve with a sprinkle of paprika or a dollop of sour cream on top.