- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups cooked, mashed winter squash (Butternut, Acorn, or Kabocha are good choices)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup canola or coconut oil
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking power
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- ¾ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, squash, eggs, and oil and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves. Add them to the squash mixture alternately with 2/3 cup warm water.
- Stir in the nuts and raisins and divide the batter between 2 buttered 9-by-5 inch loaf pans.
- Bake until the bread springs back lightly to the touch, about 1 hour.